Sat 12th April 2014 – FREE ENTRY!
LOLO LOVINA + Special Guests BELLE JAR
KATOOMBA RSL CLUB
86 Lurline St, Katoomba, Blue Mountains, Australia
2 fantastic bands in one night –
Tango, Swing, Multicultural Gypsy Rhythms with a touch of Balkan & French Flavouring!
Lolo Lovina The definitive Balkan Gypsy band… made in Australia!
With members from Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia and Australia, virtuosic Gypsy world fusion band Lolo Lovina draw influences from Balkan Gypsies, swing jazz and Tango.
The band is fronted by half Australian, half Hungarian Romani-Gypsy singer Sarah Bedak, Serbian Gypsy guitarist and drummer Nenad Radic, Leonid Beshlei on Saxophones (yes plural!) and Marjan Nedeski on Piano Accordion!
YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE…THIS IS THE FUTURE OF MUSIC.’ BRIAN ENO
Musically and culturally Planet/MGM consider the group to be in the forefront of contemporary world music coming out of Australia. Their live performances are exciting, varied and professional with consummate performance skills from all members.” – Graeme Regan, MGM the Planet Company, 2009
“Lolo Lovina deserves attention for its spirited and deservedly popular opening performance, in which Romanian Gypsy music, bluegrass and Irish folk were blended with great warmth, sometimes at hair-raising speed. …saxophone player Leonid Beshlei (was) impressive.” – Lynden Barber, The Australian, June 04, 2009 (Brian Eno’s Luminous Festival, The Sydney Opera House)
“With musicians from Ukrainian/Romanian, Hungarian and Brazillian backgrounds, this music is authentic to its roots and played with vigour and precision.” – Bradfield Dumpleton, 2009
“…There is no doubting that ‘Baro Love’ is an impressive first album from a seriously talented local band” – Seth Jordon, ABC Limelight Magazine, 2009
• Sydney Opera House 40th Anniversary Concert; 2013
• Sarah Bedak awarded an Australia Arts Council Skills and Study Support Grant for travel to Serbia, Hungary and France; 2010.
• Various grants awarded for Gypsy Caravan shows; 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
• Brian Eno’s Luminous Festival; The Opera House; 2009
• Spiegeltent; Brisbane Festival; 2009
• ABC Limelight Award Nomination; 2009
• Playing with Rachid Taha, Monsieur Camembert and Lulu Reinhardt & Antal Szalai and his Gypsy Orkestra. Other shows include; the Basement, the Factory, the Vanguard, Café Carnivale, Bellingen Global Carnival, the National Multicultural Festival.
“Born in the catacombs of Paris, Belle Jar brings you the madness and mayhem of infectious gypsy rhythms and manic fables.
Featuring French singer/songwriter Julien Castegnaro on rhythmic guitar and vocals, joined by Precious Cargo on piano accordion, guitar, melodica, snare drum and vocals. Lino Romeo on guitarrón, Trevor Brown on soprano sax, clarinet, spoons, snare drum, bouzouki, banjo, beat box and Mary Jones, vocals, sax, and clarinet.
These guys will fire up your old country longings as boom-chak boom-chak rhythm meets bent melody.
Brush off your French and get ready to dance, then take them home with their debut recording BELLE JAR.”
FREE from 8:30pm